Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cha Gio Chay Spring Rolls

There's two different brands of spring rolls here, both bought frozen from Kam Man, but I am reviewing them together because they are pretty identical, to the point that I wondered if they were the same thing just packaged with different labels. The skin for these is very thin, not doughy at all, and crisped up to a brittle plasticky texture on the outer-most layer. I know that doesn't sound appealing, but I enjoyed the crispyness. The filling was pasty and grainy, with a tiny amount of vegetables. I guess it's mostly taro and grain? One of my companions described the flavor and texture as "millet-y". Mushy and lumpy and on the dry side, the spring roll filling did give a bit of an "animal food" vibe. I can't say these were a hit with anyone present.



My friend modeling the second box of nearly identical spring rolls, "Willis" brand.



Score: 2/5 - The only good feature of these rolls were the skin wrapper. Without sauces they would be intolerably bland and lumpy. Still, they were inoffensive rather than offensive.

Updated Score: 1.5/5 - Truly, finishing the packages was like torture... So I am revising down. (Maybe that's a 1?)

No comments:

Post a Comment