Friday, October 4, 2013

Cassava Net Spring Rolls

Sorry for my long absence. I've been... busy... work, family wedding, moving, it's all been keeping me from posting. But, on the plus side, I have a lot of Dim Sum to show you.

These are K Fat Inc. Pandang Purple Cassava Net Spring Roll. Bought from the Kam Man frozen. We traditionally cook these in the toaster oven to get that pleasant crispness without frying. Generally, I love net rolls, but they do tend to be quite flaky so you get threads everywhere. I think deep frying them would make the net threads stick together a little better. Still, I really enjoy the texture. The cassava filling is sweet, but not overly so. It's the kind of sweet that I tend to pair with salty sauce, usually vegetarian oyster sauce. The cassava filling is very evenly pasty. The paste remains firm at temperature, but not so firm that you can't mop up a few fallen net flakes with it. Overall, I like these rolls. I think I slightly prefer the small versions of these, which I usually intentionally cook to over-done, in which the cassava is less prominent. But, I like the cassava!



Score: 3.5/5 - A lovely simple roll with a flakey outside, sweet inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment