Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Foodhut Frozen Chive Dumpling

Frozen Chive Dumplings! On the whole, I find most of these style of chive dumplings quite similar. I am not sure what culture these trace to originally, although I think the writing on this particular package is Thai, and you do get these at Thai restaurants... but some of the packages are for Chinese chive dumplings, and i have had similar dumplings at Chinese dim sum places. Anyway, I pan-fried these guys, for quite a while. They are pretty frozen solid on the inside, so you can make a beginner's mistake and get them done on the outside but not done on the inside. To combat this, you can pre-microwave them. I think the package suggests steaming them, but to be honest, I don't think I'd like that. That would make the outside sticky, with the inside slimy and dense like thawed frozen spinach. The filling is primarily just chives, well cooked so the flavor is mild, but basically a thick and dense layer. Overall, I do like these when they're fried, but they are a bit of a pain. Also, they end up being pretty messy. The filling squishes out.





Score: 3.5/5 - Chewy skin and dense filling. The flavor is good, but they can be a pain to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment