Thursday, May 8, 2014

Samlip Vegetable Dumpling

These Samlip Vegetable Dumplings are in the same "line" as the Leek Dumplings from H Mart that I graded a 4.5. These dumplings feature the usual cast of characters in the vegetable clip art on the front, but rather than a lot of vegetable, these dumplings have a lot of soy protein in tiny chunks, with some noodle and veggie bits mixed in. The skin and ratio of filling to dumpling are otherwise the same, which is to say, good! I prefer the flavor of the leek dumplings over these, but I would certainly consider buying these again! I did buy the kimchee flavor of these dumplings, and have yet to try them, but I am looking forward to them, since these other two have been great so far.



On the topic of dumplings, I think I have figured out my favorite way to cook them. Or at least the best way to cook this brand, and I think it would work to cook other similar dumplings with a medium-thin-gauge skin. I have started cooking them in a frying pan with a decent amount of oil, but on a lower heat setting. The skins get crispy, they bubble a bit, but they don't get burnt. You have time to turn them over and cook multiple sides and it's fast enough (10 minutes or so) but not hectically fast. I do like them in the steamer as well, but this low heat frying is the best way in my opinion. (This might also work well with the larger dumplings, like these Haioreum Dumplings, since the lower heat might give them a chance to cook all the way through before they burn. Usually I have to add a little water to the pan after the frying to finish cooking them, and that takes away some of the crispness from frying...)

Score: 4/5 - Very good dumplings!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure these are vegetarian? I bought the kimchee flavor at an Asian grocery store in London and when I cut it out it looks like it has pork in it. I'm pescatarian myself and I don't know if I should eat them.

    ReplyDelete