Monday, December 30, 2013

Wei-Chuan Vegetable Spring Rolls

Spring rolls are a highly variable item in the frozen dim sum section, and as with all dim sum items, packaging is not necessarily an indication of deliciousness. Stuff that has well designed packaging with full glossy photos and English labels are unimpressive as often as stuff that comes in cheap plastic sacks. I wasn't expecting to be impressed by these Wei-Chuan spring rolls, but, wow, they are great! I just threw these in the toaster oven, and they came out great. The shell is really the standout here. The wrappers are thick with a lot of flaky layers, but not dense. The layers were both chewy and crunchy. The filling was good too. The vegetables are the standard assortment, and the blend is not mushy or damp. These are as good as you get at many restaurants, even just baked. (I think deep frying would actually make them too greasy.)



Score: 5/5 - The best frozen vegetable spring rolls I've had so far on my veg dim sum quest. So even if they are expensive, I will be getting these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment